Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Charleston, SC

As some of you know I have been working at our church 2 days a week. I work with the week day school program with children 1-2 years old. This is great because it has been the source of our "fun" money. I have been saving for a while for a trip to Charleston for Wes and I. I was able to pay for the entire trip in cash. This included hotel room, food, parking, touring, and shopping!! This was a fun project for me...saving money. :) I felt like a kid again saving up to buy a huge toy (overhead projector-for those who know my childhood). Every two weeks I would cash my checks and come home and count all my money to see how much I had.
The weekend of our trip finally came and we packed up the car with two small bags (quite a change from when we take Rachel) and headed to Charleston, SC. Yes, did I mention we didn't take Rachel! First time ever!!! My mom watched Rachel and did an excellent job! Thanks a million mom!
In Charleston, we ate a lot of great food, went shopping, and toured a few things in the city. Of course we missed Rachel terribly but we both said, "we would not have been able to do half of what we did if Rachel was with us." It was a great weekend away and I loved every minute of it! But, I was glad to come home and see my baby.
We're now trying to decide what I'll be saving for next. I know between now and Christmas most, if not all, of my money will go to Christmas gifts. Wes thinks I should save to buy him a boat. My response was, "do you know how long I would have to work to buy you a boat?!?" I'm thinking maybe spring vacation...who knows.


Wes loves anything on water! We went to tour the battle ship. It was windy, rainy, and cold. Needless to say we could not have done this with Rachel.
You can't see it but to the left there are two other ships and one submarine. So we got to see plenty! :)

On the ships they have these startling manikins everywhere so that you could get a feel for what people would be doing in that part of the ship. I say they were startling because you would turn a corner and someone would be standing there, then you would realize it wasn't real. This was the post office. Look at the picture below.

Yep! He's a Parsons. We had an instant bond! It's nice to know where your kin-folk are working!

We ended our trip with a carriage ride around Charleston to see and hear the history of the town. Picture this, our tour guide look like the Granny from the Beverly Hill Billies, she was from New York, and wearing a Confederate soldiers hat. Interesting! She did a great job and knew her stuff.

No comments: